U2 star Bono denies reports of heart scare during French vacation
11:30 AM, August 22, 2011
11:29 AM, August 22, 2011
MONACO — U2 frontman Bono denied reports Monday he was taken to the hospital with chest pains while on vacation with his family in the south of France.
A spokeswoman for the 51-year-old singer said his visit to the Princess Grace hospital in Monaco was for a routine checkup only.
“Despite press stories to the contrary, Bono has not suffered a recent health scare,” she said in a statement. “Reports of his being rushed to [the] hospital for emergency treatment are untrue. Bono is in good health and enjoying a family [vacation] in the south of France.”
The rumors surfaced after the Irish Independent newspaper and several music websites reported that Bono had experienced heart palpitations and pains while on vacation.
They claimed the singer was checked by a heart specialist and told to rest before being released.
In May last year, U2 was forced to postpone the North American leg of its world tour after Bono injured his back.
The Irish rock band also had to cancel its long-awaited 2010 headline slot at the UK’s legendary Glastonbury Festival.
Bono had surgery in Munich and the US tour dates were rescheduled while U2 played Glastonbury this summer.